Sigh.
I knew this year was going to be bad. Typically, when I head into a season, I can find something to be optimistic about. Maybe it's a younger player from whom I want to see progress or a few old stand-bys we can all shower in adulation...but this years team? It's Paul Konerko or bust.
For whatever reason when I did a Google image search for "Paul Konerko", the 12th picture that came up was this totally rad picture of Tadahito Iguchi. I miss me some Tadahito Iguchi.
It would seem that I am not the only fan that has taken notice of this awful, awful White Sox team. Last Monday, Brad and I made an intrepid trip down to the South Side to take in an Orioles vs White Sox game on half-price Monday. The crowd was comically awful and I guessed the paid attendance to be about 16,000 and change, Brad guessed 14,000 or so and the truth turned out to be so bad, the Sox didn't even do that "Guess the Attendance" thing they do in 7th inning on the Jumbotron. The paid attendance (again! On Half Priced Monday! Our lower-level tickets up the first base line were only $20!) was 13,732.
Brad and I are only two games into our 14 game package so the only thing that is going to keep me going to park at this point are the Kosher dogs (priced at--sigh--$5.25 a pop) and the smell of the grilled onions which I don't even eat. But it's a nicer smell than Brad or me.
To be fair, maybe I'm a tad pessimistic. Maybe all of the Sox players who sucked last year will rebound. Maybe the kids will take a nice step forward. Maybe we'll go on a tear in June and Brad and I will have something to cheer about after all.
Or maybe we'll keep hitting Bret Morel--he of the .146 On Base Percentage--in the 2 hole and the Sox will have more stellar games like yesterday where we had 3 batters with 3 strike outs making Adam Dunn and his 2 whiffs seem like the super-star we're paying him to be. Man, there's just no way this team doesn't lead the universe in strike-outs.
We will, of course, lead the league in adjusted STTTDWHLISAAPCTSL*.
Sigh.
*Slow Turn Towards The Dugout With Head Lowered In Shame After Another Pathetic Called Third Strike Looking

No comments:
Post a Comment