It occurred to me while watching that clip that I must have seen well over 100,000 explosions between the day I opened up my 1st Nintendo Entertainment System and today. Could there be something to the Mom concern that kids could be ultimately desensitized to death and violence? I mean, I have this game now for my PS3 called "The Godfather: Dons Edition" that is Awesome...yeah, that's with a capital "A".
First of all, any game based around the Godfather should be excellent. Violently excellent but excellent nonetheless. Especially now that the games and systems have gotten so big and powerful that the story and game can be epic. In this particular game, your mission is to help Michael and Sonny run the family until the Don croaks in a tomato garden at which point Michael retires to Disneyland with Diane Keaton or something and you become Don. As usual, my character Bonzer Terriffic wins in the end. Although I see now I should have given him a more Italian name. "Wop Terriffic", perhaps.
Throughout the game, you get points for all the different ways you kill someone: smashing bottles over heads, slitting throats, throwing a dirty cop into an open sewer, pushing a baker who won't pay the family into his own oven, etc.
All of these kill styles culminate in you strapping a car bomb to your Studebaker, parking in front of a church as Don Tessio's funeral is letting out and walking away whistling a happy little tune (Camptown Races?) until his grandchildren are incinerated and forever fused to the very flowers they were carrying by a flammable Sicilian kiss sent with regards from Don Vito Corleone.
Huh. Just looking at that last sentence. Maybe there is something to this desensitization after all.
If that was a little dark, here is a better image of people that are probably whistling "Camptown Races" at this very moment:
No comments:
Post a Comment